Wednesday was a difficult day for The American Independent News Network, which is the larger entity that operates The Iowa Independent. Our chief executive and founder announced two of our sister sites would close and their content would be moved to The American Independent.
Fox denies Karger debate slot, petition begins
Although 2012 Republican presidential candidate Fred Karger has said he met all the requirements needed to earn a slot in Thursday’s Fox News debate in Ames, the network continues to deny him access. The situation has prompted supporters to launch a petition in support of Karger.
According to debate rules, candidates allowed to participate must have satisfied the following requirements no later than 4 p.m. on Aug. 9:
- Registered with the Federal Elections Commission as a presidential exploratory committee or presidential campaign.
- Meet all U.S. Constitutional requirements.
- Garnered at least an average of one percent in five national polls based on most recent polling leading up to the registration day.
Karger noted last week in a letter that he believed he had met the requirements and that it was his intention to be on the debate stage in Ames this Thursday.
Michael Clemente, vice president of news for Fox News, told The Des Moines Register that Karger does not qualify because the polls he cited as satisfying the requirements are not good enough. Karger cited an Aug. 4 Harris Poll, a July 25 Zogby Poll, a May 23 Zogby Poll, a June 29 McClathy-Marist Poll and an April 28 Fox News poll.
The Fox News poll, Karger noted, was the first national one to include him. Clemente asserts that the poll is too old to be used to meet the requirement.